Ice dye vest top

digital print ice dye top

I used to do a lot of dress making for myself, then quilting took over and I haven’t done anything for years. With my recent interest in fabric design for digital printing I was inspired to get my patterns out and make something again with this cotton knit material that started life as an ice dyed fabric.

ice dyeing

I photographed the finished fabric and then manipulated it in Photoshop so that I had a mirrored image that I could use for a repeat pattern. I then had this digitally printed by Spoonflower on an organic cotton knit. I haven’t done much sewing with knits so I chose a simple pattern, but I still had to adapt it so that I could the arms and neckline using a knit binding instead of a traditional bias binding that the pattern called for. I was able to watch a class on Craftsy to help with this: “Sewing fashion knits” by Linda Lee.

 

I got out my old Janome overlocker which again I haven’t used for years and was delighted to find that it worked perfectly.

I made bound armholes and neckline following the directions in Linda’s class and found these gave a really nice finish. The soft colours of the print look great with jeans, although I think it’s look great with something white too. Now I’ve done this I am keen to experiment with more of my iced dyed fabrics and maybe even some of my hand dyes too. If anyone wants to make their own version of this top or anything else for that matter the fabric design is available in my Spoonflower shop in a wide range of different fabrics http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/anne_renata

digital print ice dye top

 

 

making a tea towel

I received another batch of samples and fabrics of my designs from www.spoonflower.com last week and amongst them were these orchid patterns.

orchid design fabrics

They are all based on watercolour paintings I did a while ago from a beautiful bouquet of orchids I was given. The purple spotted orchid I had printed onto linen/cotton canvas and I loved how vibrantly the colours have come out.

purple spotted orchid fabric

I decided to make this fabric up into tea towels as 1 yard of fabric divides perfectly to make 4 tea towels approximately 17″ x 26″ (43cm x 66cm). For each tea towel I cut off the unprinted selvedges, then folded over 1/4″, pressed with a stream iron and then folded over another 1/4″. I stitched the sides first then top and bottom. including a short length of tape in the top corner for a hanging loop.

hanging loop

The fabric is quite thick so I found it helped to cut off a small mount of fabric across the corners before stitching the top and bottom edges. I used a #14 Topstitch needle, but a #16 might have made the stitching a little easier. My newly made tea towel now hangs in pride of place in my kitchen.

orchid tea towel